MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2005-05-11 01:16:51

matludlam

Finding duplicate files

I am in the process of merging my music collection and that of my wife, a total of about 35,000 files.

I seem to be getting some rather strange behaviour with the find duplicate files tool.

For some reason it seems to think that a number of tracks are the same (i.e. not exact duplicates) even though they are tagged differently.

So for example it thinks that two Madonna tracks on the album “Dance Collection” are the same (Express Yourself and Holiday) even thought they are tagged differently.

I can supply examples of the files if you want.

I am using V0.602 but had the same issue on 0.57

What rules does it use to compare the files?  I think that the following makes a candidate to be check summed.
Same artist name.
Same album name.
Same track name.

I look forward to your comments.

#2 2005-05-11 04:45:11

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: Finding duplicate files

matludlam wrote:

What rules does it use to compare the files?

MP3-Boss (currently) bases the duplicates "similar" comparison on a 256KB block of song data near the beginning of the song.  It isn't based on the artist/album/title/track information.  To be marked as a 'likely' duplicate, that means that about 15s of music needs to be identical.

For the exact duplicate comparison, the entire song data is compared.  The chance for 2 songs to be different, but to test identical, are exceedingly slim.

Please send me a couple of the example songs so I can see if something is going wrong.  My guess is that the songs probably have some invalid start data...but I would like to take a look.

#3 2005-05-11 09:36:38

matludlam

I have sent details on e-mail.  2 MP3 files and 2 MDB files (data.mdb and duplicates.mdb).

Re the logic in use, I have a number of files twice but with different bit rates.

I could easily wrte an SQL query to populate the duplicates table, do you think this would work?

#4 2005-05-11 11:38:15

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

matludlam wrote:

I have sent details on e-mail.  2 MP3 files and 2 MDB files (data.mdb and duplicates.mdb).

Re the logic in use, I have a number of files twice but with different bit rates.

I could easily wrte an SQL query to populate the duplicates table, do you think this would work?

Yes, I *think* it would work.  When you shutdown & restart MP3-Boss, I believe it looks to see if there are any files that remain to be processed...and it will ask if you want to continue.

I plan to add a artist/album/title/track duplicates form...just haven't gotten around to it yet.

#5 2005-05-12 12:22:24

matludlam

Did you ever get the files that I e-mailed or did they go to the wrong account?

#6 2005-05-12 12:59:14

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

matludlam wrote:

Did you ever get the files that I e-mailed or did they go to the wrong account?

Yes, I received them...I hope to look at them this weekend.  Thanks!

#7 2005-05-12 13:03:47

matludlam

I think I know why it may be occuring.  These files have an album cover within them that I think is a very large bitmap.

As they are from the same album, it is possible that the first 256Kb is the same because it is the same bitmap.

Just a thought.

Keep up the good work.

PS. I have the queries working that match files based on artist, album and title, but just populating the DupeCheck table in the dupes.mdb database does not seem to work.  It seems to need some other info in the dupework.mdb database.  Either way, I am happy to delete the files by hand.

#8 2005-05-12 14:22:08

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

matludlam wrote:

I think I know why it may be occuring.  These files have an album cover within them that I think is a very large bitmap.

As they are from the same album, it is possible that the first 256Kb is the same because it is the same bitmap.

That sounds possible.  In theory I skip the tags (and only compare music)...but maybe there is something strange about these files (e.g., the ID3v2 tag unsynchronization signal)

PS. I have the queries working that match files based on artist, album and title, but just populating the DupeCheck table in the dupes.mdb database does not seem to work.  It seems to need some other info in the dupework.mdb database.  Either way, I am happy to delete the files by hand.

It doesn't start the delete even after exiting/restarting?  I know that I process the copy/move that way, but maybe delete is so fast that I didn't implement restart for delete.

Feel free to send me your queries...I can use them as a starting point for duplicate-by-name comparisons.

Board footer