MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2010-07-25 17:08:39

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

MP3-Boss 2010

First test of MP3-Boss 2010 -- based on the Access2010 runtime.
The new version supports filter by column (the attached is actually filtered based on 'Starts with...' and 'Contains...' for the first 3 fields (Title, Artist, Album).
Plus -- the datasheet view now supports alternate row color (I've selected 'green' here) -- the active row is in grey. Note the small 'Filtered' button (under the datasheet) -- that lets you toggle the filter ON/OFF. Also, there is now a small 'Search' field that lets you enter any search term (much like the 'Filter For..." ability in the earlier versions of Mp3-Boss. Much more to do, but I thought you'd like to see that I'm making some progress.

You can see the screenshot at the MP3-Boss Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 … 1189795721

#2 2010-08-01 18:06:46

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: MP3-Boss 2010

I'm continuing to make good progress.

I still need to review each & every dialog and button, because it turns out that some of the API return information has changed (at least when running on a 64-bit computer).

One significant problem is that I'll need to again purchase an installer that supports multiple versions of Access. 

In the meantime, I can package up an MSI ... but it means that if you have something besides Access2010 on your computer, you'll get a dialog and have to wait a couple of minutes every time you switch between different versions of Access.

Please let me know if you are interested in taking an early look at this new revision.  You'll need the following:
1) Previously installed MP3-Boss (registered copy)
and one of the following
1) Use Access2010 only
2) Don't use Access
3) Don't mind having an annoying dialog when you want to switch back to an earlier version of Access.

Thanks!

#3 2010-09-25 06:22:21

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I am having some trouble with the new ribbon menu system -- it is taking me quite awhile to get the ribbon in place. 

I'm also having some trouble with the Switchboard -- for some reason every time I click a menu item, the mp3-boss.com website also comes up.  What is strange is that it doesn't appear to be happening in code ... so something about the switchboard form is causing this.  I hope I don't have to start over!

#4 2011-01-21 08:15:46

trekale77

John,

How is porting / redevelopment of MP3-Boss to 2010 coming along?  Have you overcome the initial frustration with the Ribbon and not knowing where to find things?  I have heard that the custom ribbons are harder to create than custom toolbars.  Have you had any issues migrating your code?

Hasso

#5 2011-01-23 22:13:33

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

The custom ribbons are definitely a pain.  I've made pretty good progress, but still I'm not sure exactly what I want.

I've added alternating color bands ... really nice addition, but it means I need to change the customization to allow changing both colors.  There are some automatic ribbon menus that are created that have caused me a lot of trouble -- I want some of it (to allow easier customization), but some of it simply doesn't work (e.g., font selection).  Note sure why, so I bought a 1500 page book explaining Access 2010.  I think the biggest problem is that some of the features just aren't solid yet.

I did figure out how to fix the Switchboard -- evidently moving to Access2010 caused the problem. I simply recreated the Switchboard from scratch and the problem went away.

The library I using to get drag & drop removed support for ActiveX -- so I'm also thinking about whether I want to create a .NET form that will support drag & drop.  I've seen a bit of instability when I scroll very quickly when using the ActiveX.

I still think I should probably just fix up a bit more and then start with some alpha testers, since it is likely more testers will be able to tell me if it is nearly ready for release ... or if I still have a lot of work to go!

#6 2012-01-24 21:26:48

trekale77

John,

What is the status of the 2010 port?  You had indicated several months ago that you would be interested in have some alpha testers.  Is this still the case?  What is your time-frame for commencing alpha test?

Thanks

#7 2012-01-25 05:14:31

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I have had 2 major problems during the port that made me stop and re-consider how I want to do this development:
1) Random lockup.  I believe this is due to the library that provides Drag&Drop functionality.  The developer of the library has discontinued development of the product, so I need to either eliminate Drag&Drop or figure out another way to get this functionality.
2) Menuing structure problems. After spending a ton of time on this (and purchasing a 1230 page book!), I still can't get the menu to behave the way I expect.

In addition to the above, I've decided I want to update the underlying tag driver.

Because of these problems, I've decided to step back for awhile and figure out how to proceed.  The v0.683 release works well (even though I really want to upgrade it!) and has almost every feature imaginable.

I have thought about a few options:
1) Continue to try to slog through and hope I can resolve the problems.  The Drag&Drop problem is a big reason I'm reluctant to go this way.
2) Start again, and make a simple application.  Build up over time.
3) Move to .NET programming with Access back-end.
4) Move to web based, perhaps JAVA + SQL online database.

An Access back-end does bring some big benefits (speed and Office compatibility), but perhaps web accessibility is more important today?  However, since MP3-Boss handles local & networked files -- how does web access translate into an advantage (accessing over the web wouldn't allow access to files stored on another computer -- or should I assume files are now stored in the Cloud?).

Your thoughts?

#8 2012-02-26 15:41:13

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

The filtering options with Access 2010 are really amazing -- I was playing around with List View beta today, and if I ever get this finished it will be a huge improvement.  You can select unique entries via checkbox from a dropdown, or filter on part or all of the text.  Plus, each filtered column includes an icon that shows that the column is filtered (or sorted).

I really like the alternate-row colors too (and even allows automatic selection via themes).

I spent another several hours trying to figure out how to work out the new menus (with ribbon bar) ... and don't seem any closer.  However, I didn't see the crashes that I was seeing (prior to the last service pack update) -- so keep your fingers crossed that the crashes have been resolved.

If I can't figure out the menus (or if see any crashes), I'm thinking about making a mini-MP3-Boss that just implements List View for now.  I want to update the tagging routines, and would like to move to native drag & drop if possible.

I still don't know if the Access2010 supports native drag & drop via trees.  Anybody know for sure?

#9 2012-10-23 10:55:10

saaidda9

Note the small 'Filtered' button under the datasheet -- that lets you toggle the filter ON/OFF. Also, there is now a small 'Search' field that lets you enter any search term much like the 'Filter For..." ability in the earlier versions of Mp3-Boss.....

#10 2012-11-19 04:15:44

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

How important is that the underlying tables in MP3-Boss are based on Access?
This means MP3-Boss works very well with Office (e.g., very simply copy/paste into Excel), but are many of you using this Office compatibility?

I think Microsoft has really moved away from supporting developers with this last release -- it seems really a pain to program.  It may be that I'll need to replace all the 3rd party libraries that I use if I want to make a stable product -- and that is a LOT of work.

What would you think if I tried out JAVA and SQL?  Any big advantages or disadvantages?

#11 2012-11-23 05:11:50

alagar samy

Download Boss Engira Baskaran (2010) songs, Download Boss Engira Baskaran (2010) Songs Tamil, Boss Engira Baskaran (2010) mp3 free .

This file has been stored on the publisher's virtual drive on 4shared.com (online file storage service).The file is shared for public access

Sivaji the Boss movie songs,Sivaji the Boss movie mp3 songs, Sivaji the Boss movie mp3 songs download, Sivaji the Boss Hindi movie mp3 ...

Board footer