MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2006-10-20 00:40:37

carrotboat

searh for empty tags

Hello all,

I am most interested in getting my tags nice as the files go to XBMC on the xbox. I can't search for empty genre tags as Category(seems to be Genre) in Filters (List View) won't accept nothing.

When I reorder the User_Category column the order of that column changes but it messes up all the others.

Is there a work around?

Also when I update tags in another program how do I do a rescan of the mp3 boss db?

#2 2006-10-20 17:14:33

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: searh for empty tags

The Genre tag is the ID3v1-compatible category tag.  The User_Category is an extension of Genre -- it supports all of the ID3v1 genre categories, plus allows you to add your own categories.  User_Category1 is similar to User_Category -- just allowing you to have 2 categories for every song.

You are correct that Filters doesn't allow you to search on a blank category -- I hadn't really thought about this...maybe for a future revision.

Sorting the User_Category column simply changes the order of all of the records -- it doesn't hurt anything, and you can get back the original (default) order by simply sorting on the ID column (usually the first column).

Often, when you sort a column it is convenient to sort on multiple columns.  For instance, if you wanted to sort on Genre and Artist -- just drag the Genre column to the left of the Artist column -- then highlight both the Genre & Artist column -- then click A-->Z or Z-->A on the toolbar.  That sorts the records first by Genre and then by Artist.  You can sort by as many different columns as you want.  Sorting on ID will bring back the original order.  If you like a particular sort-order, you can click on PROFILES in the toolbar and store the configuration.

Another way to sort just the Genre would be to bring up the detail dialog...then right click on the Genre entry and click sort.  If the Genre is empty, you could also right-click the "Filter by selection" entry to hide all records that already have Genre entered.

To update mp3-boss after updating tags in another program, you would uncheck the "Add New Files ONLY" entry on the Scan page.  If you've added tags that would change the filesize (e.g., adding ID3v1 tags to files that didn't originally have those tags), then keeping the "Filesize Check" selected will rescan any files that have changed size.

#3 2006-10-21 04:59:50

carrotboat

Hi John,

If I "tell" the User_Category about my particular (non 1d3v1)categories will it display them in list view if a file has one of them? if so how do I do that? At the mo it appears to me that sort on id3v2 categories is not possible.

I have clicked on a column heading and dragged it. This highlights columns without moving the column of interest. I'm missing something about moving columns.

#4 2006-10-21 06:55:16

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

If the ID3v2 category exists in User_Category, then it will be updated with that information during a scan.

To sort on ID3v2 categories, you need to go to the ID3v2A tab of the Detail view, click the "Full/Sortable" button, right-click the Category field, and then select "Sort A-->Z" or "Sort Z-->A".

To drag a column heading in List View:
Click the Column title (this selects the column -- the entire column is highlighted)

Click the Column title and hold down the mouse button (you'll see a small square below the mouse pointer, and the left side of the column gets highlighted)

While holding the mouse button, drag the column to the new location and release the mouse button (a highlight line shows the new column location as you move the mouse).

#5 2006-10-21 19:23:39

carrotboat

I'm sorry but I'm not getting something. I have selected a sond with id3v2 tags. I have verified the presence of the tags in winamp5.23 and mp3 tag/studio 3.05.

I select the song in the boss list view and click details. I then go to id3v2a tab and the catagory is empty. Where do I find id3v2 genre?

On another song I have noticed the appearence of a non id2v1 genre tag in id3v2a Content type. Is that it? If so how I sort the entire db on that?

#6 2006-10-21 22:31:17

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Please send me a song with this "missing" id3v2 tag.

Click the "Full/Sortable" button, then right-click on the Content, and select "Sort A-->Z" or "Sort Z-->A".

#7 2010-06-14 05:27:50

joetraff

Thanks for being supportive.
Your efforts are much appreciated.

#8 2012-11-22 06:31:03

rhitik1506
Website

thanks a lot.... thanks for your information... very much useful for me.... keep on posting...:-)

Board footer