MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2005-06-06 20:31:12

ralph

Play Count Accuracy

Whenever I close V.602 by cliking "Done" and then reopen MP3List from the dashboard, the playcount is incremented by one.  Best approach to an accurate playcount is to only increment the playcount when a play is initiated while open.

#2 2005-06-07 05:10:19

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: Play Count Accuracy

ralph wrote:

Whenever I close V.602 by cliking "Done" and then reopen MP3List from the dashboard, the playcount is incremented by one.  Best approach to an accurate playcount is to only increment the playcount when a play is initiated while open.

This is a difficult one...and I'm sure it has always worked this way (not new problem in v0.602).

I think the best solution is for me to simply HIDE the ListView instead of actually closing ListView.  That should make showing ListView a little faster when you want to show it again, and it would no longer lose track of the currently playing song.

Because MP3-Boss tries to catch songs initiated either from ListView or from WinAmp, there isn't a simple way to know that it shouldn't count a song that is playing.  It might be possible to ignore any songs that are playing when ListView comes up, but because the counting behaves like a separate thread...it is likely that implementing such a system would cause other trouble.  I would need to store the Systemtime of Form_Load, skip playcount increment for songs currently playing, then reset the "skip_playcount" in Form_Timer after a certain amount of time has passed (e.g., 1second after Form_Load).

Comments?

#3 2005-06-07 20:29:26

ralph

Well now that I know how it behaves I will be a little more careful in closing List View.

Actually, the reason I close it leads to another bug report.  It goes as follows:

When I open MP3B after a previous session where the screen was NOT full screened,  Then when I maximize the screen, List View will NOT maximize.  So the only way to see a maximized List View is to close it, then reopen it  Whenever I do this I increment the playcount. 

So it seems that if ListView would satisfactorily maximize on open within the parent window I would not have to close it as often.

Also Hiding seems like a good option also, but we still need large screen when we unhide.

#4 2005-06-10 20:54:12

ralph

I noticed another version of playcount incrementing:   When I paused play using MP3B controls and then restarted play by again pressing MP3B pause button, the playcount increments.

Same happens when pressing (repeatedly) the pause button on Winamp.

Therefore, each resume is counted as a new play.

#5 2005-06-10 22:07:28

ralph

and.....here's another one.   Whenever I move the "slide" on Winamp to either advance or move back the play;  the playcount will also be incremented.

#6 2005-06-11 04:19:31

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

ralph wrote:

and.....here's another one.   Whenever I move the "slide" on Winamp to either advance or move back the play;  the playcount will also be incremented.

I've duplicated the pause problem...have to take a look.

For me, the playcount only advances when I move the slider BACK, not when it moves FORWARD in time.  Could you check again to see if it increments when you move it FORWARD?

#7 2005-06-11 19:06:50

ralph

mccaffjt wrote:

I've duplicated the pause problem...have to take a look.

For me, the playcount only advances when I move the slider BACK, not when it moves FORWARD in time.  Could you check again to see if it increments when you move it FORWARD?

Ahh...your're right.  The count increments only on BACK.   I was pushing buttons and imagining things.

#8 2005-06-12 05:16:51

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Here's what I can do:

1) I won't increment the playcount when first loading ListView (I set a flag so songs within 600ms of loading ListView aren't counted)

2) Don't increment playcount unless the song is in the first second of play.  This takes care of both Pause/UnPause (after first second) and moving the time back (as long as you don't move to first second of song).

Certainly the above will help a lot.  However, note that if you are playing a song when you bring up ListView -- it isn't counted.  Also, it is possible to Pause/UnPause during first second of song (or scroll back to the beginning -- although that is really a 'play-again' type action anyway).

Probably I should still Hide instead of Close ListView -- so the PlayCount is incremented even if ListView isn't shown.  Before I do this I'll need to make sure that there isn't any reason you NEED to fully close ListView (like not resizing correctly).  Also, not sure if writing to statusbar of hidden window will be OK.  So...Hide is a bit risky.

Addendum: I've tried the Hide, and it looks difficult -- lots of places that might cause trouble.  Is this PlayCount fix enough without the ListView hide?  Now I WILL admit that normally when you are using MP3-Boss you'll want to minimize instead of close ListView...because of the way it tracks songs only when ListView is open.  I COULD change the "Done" button to a Minimize...would that be better?

Comments?

Board footer