MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2017-09-04 09:13:00

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Setting up a NAS Server with all of your files...

I am setting up a 32TB Raid-5 wireless NAS server to try to get all my files in one place, and hopefully keep them safer by allowing backup to the cloud.

I figured I'd document the process a bit in case others are interested.
WD MyCloud PR4100 32TB (about 26TB free as received due to Raid-5).

Fast application to copy/verify from other locations (much better than Windows copy across a wireless network): FastCopy (64-bit) v3.32
https://ipmsg.org/tools/fastcopy.html.en

Reading .bin, .cue files (and converting to virtual drive to rip): VirtualDVD v7.5 (Oh!Soft)

LAME (64-bit) v3.99.2.5 to rip any CD audio (from VirtualDVD)
CDex v1.83 on top of LAME. CDex interfaces to FreeDB to get album information.

Amazon Fire box to make my TV 'smart'
Applications:
PLEX as the media server (along with Plex Clients on computer, phone, tablet). Doesn't play stored DVD format (.VOB), and stutters/stops when playing .MTS video from my camera.
VLC allows DVD play (mostly), while Plex won't play .VOB files. PLEX does a good job with .mpg and .mp4.
MediaGuru (allows faster access when looking through thousands of photos, and more efficient when looking at proprietary hi-res videos from my camera)

Next step will be to create a database of all files with MD5 checksum, dupe-checking, and organization capability - the next version of MP3-Boss. Note that it will need to work with 'all' file types, but especially music + photos (with tagging).

I'm sure this isn't the only (or best) possible setup. Please let me know what you think - and how to improve!

Board footer