MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2017-09-04 09:13:00

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Setting up a NAS Server with all of your files...

I am setting up a 32TB Raid-5 wireless NAS server to try to get all my files in one place, and hopefully keep them safer by allowing backup to the cloud.

I figured I'd document the process a bit in case others are interested.
WD MyCloud PR4100 32TB (about 26TB free as received due to Raid-5).

Fast application to copy/verify from other locations (much better than Windows copy across a wireless network): FastCopy (64-bit) v3.32
https://ipmsg.org/tools/fastcopy.html.en

Reading .bin, .cue files (and converting to virtual drive to rip): VirtualDVD v7.5 (Oh!Soft)

LAME (64-bit) v3.99.2.5 to rip any CD audio (from VirtualDVD)
CDex v1.83 on top of LAME. CDex interfaces to FreeDB to get album information.

Amazon Fire box to make my TV 'smart'
Applications:
PLEX as the media server (along with Plex Clients on computer, phone, tablet). Doesn't play stored DVD format (.VOB), and stutters/stops when playing .MTS video from my camera.
VLC allows DVD play (mostly), while Plex won't play .VOB files. PLEX does a good job with .mpg and .mp4.
MediaGuru (allows faster access when looking through thousands of photos, and more efficient when looking at proprietary hi-res videos from my camera)

Next step will be to create a database of all files with MD5 checksum, dupe-checking, and organization capability - the next version of MP3-Boss. Note that it will need to work with 'all' file types, but especially music + photos (with tagging).

I'm sure this isn't the only (or best) possible setup. Please let me know what you think - and how to improve!

#2 2017-10-27 18:51:48

ralph

Re: Setting up a NAS Server with all of your files...

Can't help you much on NAS/raid setup.  I do have a small mycloud that has been running for 3 years now.  Works okay, but dependent on internet speeds when I am away from home.  Usually they are doggedly slow. 

Interested in Fastcopy and downloaded a version to try.  I guess you recommend it.

Really interested in your development of new MP3B.  I still use it  What's your thoughts about Winamp out of production.  Is it a factor for MP3B?

#3 2017-10-29 15:26:59

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: Setting up a NAS Server with all of your files...

I like FastCopy because it gets around temporary problems. You can just restart with the same parameters when there are problems (like wireless network going down).

PLEX as a media server is interesting - but I've found it very inconsistent. One day it works great, the next it won't play any files. I think it probably can't handle all the files I have. Have you found a better media server?

There are so many media players, I'm less worried about Winamp. At the same time, I'd like to continue with automation. I'd like to control playlists (including start/stop play time per song), get song info (including lyrics), and show album covers. Some of that is probably best handled by all of the media players already out there (like Musixmatch for lyrics). Suggestions?

Board footer