MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2005-07-11 06:08:58

paulmccowan

Scanning Problems

Once again, problems scanning new files has cropped up.  I have been attemting to scan a new disk into the program, and get the following message, and the scanning stops.  "Cannot create duplicate values in the index, primary key, or relationship", I appears to be a standard Microsoft Acess error message.

I have used different types of media, deleted, and added different files to the media, rebuilt the data base, etc, etc, etc.  Nothing helps.

Any suggestions?

#2 2005-07-11 06:55:02

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: Scanning Problems

Paul,

Can you send me the file that causes the problem?

#3 2005-07-12 08:31:43

paulmccowan

I don't know which file is causing the problem.  It involves the whole disk I am scannin, and each time I scan the disk a different MP3 file appears to be causing the problem.

#4 2005-07-12 09:34:40

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Please send me the file that is listed last.  My guess is that many of the files have been tagged with 'something different' -- and so it looks like the whole disk is the problem, but it is just that a large number of the files have 'unusual' tags.

John

#5 2005-07-19 14:17:47

paulmccowan

I have removed and reinstalled both Access and Boss V602, and the scanning problem seems to have been corrected.  One of the files must have gotten corrupted at some point.

#6 2005-07-22 17:43:16

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

When you re-installed MP3-Boss -- did you then restore a saved DATA.MDB file, or did you re-scan all your files?

#7 2005-07-23 04:45:19

paulmccowan

I just restored the old Data.MDB file.

#8 2005-07-24 05:56:33

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I really don't understand what is happening on your system.  Surprisingly, you seem to be the only one reporting this problem, and I haven't really been able to reproduce it here.

How many of the disks are DVD disks vs CD disks?  Most of the disks I scan are CDs -- maybe that is the problem.  Looks like my DVD drive has failed AGAIN, so I can't do any DVD creation now.

The problems all seemed to start once I added the option to try to identify that a CD/DVD is being rescanned with new files.  The algorithm to identify a previously scanned disk is not perfect (since the 'real' unique ID number is overwritten when you add new files to a disk) ...so my guess is that it is failing because it is finding an incorrect match when there are so many CDs in the collection.  The best bet is probably for me to an an "Over-ride: Manually identify previously scanned disks".  How does that sound?

The only other option is probably to switch over to manual identification once there are a certain number of disks in the collection (maybe I should just set this as the default?).  The problem is that I'm identifying the disk based on the files written...and I can't even identify New/Old files because of the way CDs are written.  If you have a bunch of disks with the same files...the match will incorrectly identify it as a previously scanned disk.  If you have a CD with a lot of newly added files...the match will incorrectly identify it as a new disk.

I've looked at the code -- and I assume a match at 40%.  I did that because if you add a lot of new files...a 40% match is still pretty good.  I think I'll change that to 80% match, and then bring up a dialog if it doesn't match.  In your case (wanting to rescan the whole disk)...it must not have had a 40% match to any of your CDs.  My proposal would take care of that situation, since it would bring up a dialog saying "First-time Scan" or "Select matching CD".  The only problem comes when you aren't sure exactly WHICH CD should match.

Another problem is (perhaps) what happens when the disk is finalized after having been updated a number of times...I need to make sure that I allow you to select the volume in case it isn't a nearly perfect match.

#9 2005-07-26 06:54:08

paulmccowan

First of all, Thanks for the assistance you give.  I have told you before that I use Boss on a daily basis.life.  Having said that, I do have problems with it.  SCANNING.  Everything was doing real good, but the the re-scanning of a disk has jumped up again.

In answer to your question, the last 10 or so disks I have scanned are DVD's.   But I tried a CD recently to see if the re-scan problem occurred, and it did.  I know you said no one else has the problem, so I don't know.  It seems like my problem started about the time you added the scanning options into the config system  I hope you can come up with some kind of "fix".  Let me know of what help I can be.   Thanks

#10 2005-07-26 07:18:21

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I'm quite sure the problem is related to rescanning the disk.  I am working on a way to allow you to select a matchup disk instead of having that step automated.

#11 2005-08-07 05:06:29

paulmccowan

I believe I have located the scanning problem.  I had Alcohol 120, and Roxio CD Creator installed, and both programs conflicted  with each other.  I un-installed alcohol 120, and there does not appear to be a problem of adding files to an existing disk, and then do a rescan. HOWEVER.  You still cannot do a scan on one drive, and scan it, then add additional files, and rescan it on an different drive. In other words, scan files on drive D, add additional files, and then rescan on drive E. It does not matter what scanning options you have selected in Config section.   The program will always treat it as a new disk.  I believe this has always been a problem in previous releases.

Do you have any suggestions?

#12 2005-08-08 04:08:34

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Paul,

I've mainly implemented a "specify the disk" dialog for rescanning -- so you manually select the matching disk for rescan.  I've looked at this rescan problem...and it is VERY complicated because there is absolutely no reliable way to determine if the disk has been scanned before.

I'll take a look at what happens when the drive changes...maybe that is a second problem.

Board footer