MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2017-11-12 08:27:01

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Free Registration Code

All,

I've only had a dozen or so requests to continue MP3-Boss development, so I haven't put much effort into the next version once it was clear that developer support was fading from newer versions of Microsoft Access. Maybe Access 2019 (?) will be better ... but in the meantime I'm thinking about alternatives (which means starting over from scratch).

So, anyone that wants a registration code can get one for free while I figure out what is next.
First Name: Free
Last Name: MP3Boss
Company:
Registration Code: 6BBDD02C4CB23D81AAD29EC4

<Sorry - no support for free codes!>

If you are running under Windows 10, just select the MP3-Boss icon on the Desktop, and set for "Run as Administrator" and Windows 7 compatibility, and it seems to run fine.

John

#2 2017-11-28 13:59:34

ralph

Re: Free Registration Code

Thanks for this John.....I am now 6 or more versions of computers down the road where I have to reinstall my library and try set up MP3 Boss functionality. That meant searching back for my install code.  I know it is somewhere.  I have also leaned that Winamp is in the past, although still available in older versions.   Will MP3 boss work with other players on Win10?

I hope you find a way and impetus to continue development.  Being 'OCD" as I am, I want clean, consistent, precise MP3 tags, titles and names throughout my library.  Also, I want the easy to operate rating system so I don't have to waste a lot of time before playing just my 'excellent' tracks, or creating a playlist of them to put on my MP3 player.

But that brings up a sore subject....I don't really have a way now to operate my MP3 players.  I may have to resurrect an old Windows XP machine to function only as my 'Music Library" where I can manage my MP3 tracks.  I wonder what others have, beyond just trashing all those MP3 players?

#3 2018-02-10 08:14:45

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I'm pretty sure that eventually I will get back to this. Just too many other things to do right now!

I'm a bit stuck on what development platform to use - Microsoft seems barely interested in Access (esp. for developers). If they hadn't bailed on Access, I'm sure you'd be running MP3-Boss 2018 now.

MySQL and other database systems look interesting ... but that are also a bunch of NoSQL/NewSQL and similar variants.
I have a project at work looking at next-generation databases, so hopefully something will come out of that to help me decide on next steps.

I've tried MusicBrainz Picard to categorize songs, but find that it is only 'OK' in terms of identification (and tends to crash a lot). PLEX seems to do a better job of identification ... but it doesn't write to ID3/ID3v2.

Unfortunately, MP3-Boss crashes for me when scanning all songs on a 20TB NAS server. Usually this means an invalid tag ... but I haven't looked into it yet. No problem if scanning specific directories, even with hundreds/thousands of songs.

MusicIP no longer works because the ID server was closed down. MP3-Boss did an awfully nice job of song ID - by combining MusicIP with additional web & local database information. I miss it!
So - you can turn off MusicIP lookup in Configuration. NetArtistLookup and ArtistSmartSearch should still work (although MusicIP often was the source of enough identifying information so those additional searches came into play).

I want to have a program that allows me to ID songs, fixup all the tags, rate the songs, and provide checksums so I know if there are file problems. Quickly generating song-lists was also nice. While online services allow auto-generation of song-lists, they don't use *your* songs...
Surprisingly, I also like the Album art now - I play the songs with Plex over Amazon FireTV (with attached stereo). Nice having the album covers pop up, and with 20TB of space, I haven't worried (yet?) about space.

Regarding:
"I don't really have a way now to operate my MP3 players."
Do you mean because you can't run WinAmp? WinAmp works for me on Win10.

#4 2018-03-11 11:36:53

ralph

I was really talking about my portable MP3 players (Creative Zen, etc).  I got Winamp running, also tried Mediamonkey, and Windows Media Player.  Each work a little differently, but now I have a way to add and erase files on my players, by genre, artist etc. 

I put other comment at  http://web.newsguy.com/mccaffjt/punbb/v … hp?id=3170  to get away from hijacking this tread smile.

Board footer