MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2018-03-12 11:09:42

ralph

New Database with M4a tracks

I purchased an external drive at Garage Sale that had 2000+ folders, 22,000 tracks of someones Itunes music in M4a format.  I created an new MDB database for this and did a test scan.   All uploaded okay.  Problem is the tags.  Only the title from the tag was detected.  Artist, Genre, etc was listed as "unknown".   When I looked at the albums using Tag and Rename, the tags data was complete and well-formed. 

Is this normal for MP3boss?  Should files be converted to MP3 before scanning?

#2 2018-03-14 07:03:40

ralph

Re: New Database with M4a tracks

I had another folder on the hard drive for IPOD files.  Obviously, a backup of the the previous owners IPOD.  The files there were named obscurely (like  DCQP.m4a)  I scanned these 200 files into MP3b.  No metadata populated in MP3boss.  However, when I played a track, the complete data was shown on Winamp.  And evenmore, when I created a filelist on Winamp and transferred that to my portable MP3 player the filelist and all the tracks were transferred to my player.  All the information on the player was correct, i.e. artist, album, track, etc. 

The only issue in this whole process is that MP3Boss cannot pickup the tag data from the m4a files.

#3 2018-06-03 16:12:04

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: New Database with M4a tracks

I'm really surprised ... how new are these files?
Since I haven't updated now in a few years, it is possible that there is a 'New' .m4a tag ... but then I'm surprised that Winamp would detect the content correctly. However, there is no official specification for m4a that I am aware of. I am using a .DLL to decode those particular tags - I don't see any specific mention of bugs in the decode.

Have you looked at the DETAIL information in MP3-Boss? Do you see the information in the ID3v2 fields?

Maybe send me an example file and I can take a look - but more for future unless I happen to stumble on the cause of the problem (e.g., renaming the file might fix the problem).

MP4/M4A/M4V are all interchangeable file extensions that are used for convenience to refer to the same MP4 container format, as a hint to the enclosed media type. M4A: audio only, M4V: video only, MP4 (and sometimes M4V): both. The most common codecs used for MP4 files are H.264 video and AAC audio.

Board footer