MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2005-09-19 21:13:51

ralph

V603 Play count

I use the "hot" key a lot to quickly scan and rate files.  After loading 603 I noticed some anomalies with the way play count is incremented for during a "hot scan",

Generally, the play count will NOT be incremented during my "hot scan"  Makes no difference if I "jump" to next track during the scan or if i simply let the time expire and play advances to the next track.

#2 2005-09-20 17:14:24

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: V603 Play count

I probably have code to make sure that the playcount isn't incremented during hotscan.  Should I increment that count?  What if it only plays for 10seconds? 

Should I wait a certain amount of time before saying it is playing?

Do you think earlier versions handled this differently?

#3 2005-09-20 19:02:30

ralph

Yes,  v602 worked differently.  I was in themiddle of a project to "rate" many of the 2000 unrated tracks in my library.   I have the hot key set for 20 sec scan between 30 and 50 secs into the track. 

Once i switched to v603.  I could still scan and rate okay; but the playcount increment failed to work.  I guess not a big deal, but just something different. 

Now here is a change to code you can put at the end of the list:

When hot scanning, sometimes I like to listen to more than the short scan  I can press play to hear more, but once done, if I push hot again it starts back at the beginning of list, not at the point I am on the list.   Not a big deal either, but.....

#4 2005-09-20 22:14:43

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Is playcount incrementing OK for normal playing?

HotScan: Should it start from the start of the list the first time you hit that button, or always from the 'current' position in the list (if there is one)?  Is there EVER a need to force a start from the beginning of the list?

#5 2005-09-25 22:37:17

ralph

Yes,  Playcount  increments normally  in regular play.

The reason I think hotscan should resume at current position is because my purpose in using Hot Scan   I wonder if other users may feel differently because they want to used for some other purpose.  I use it to get an idea of what the song is about.  I set it to run in the middle of the songs since just hearing the introduction is not enough.  I made it run 20 seconds in an attempt to get a good sample, but sometimes that's not enough.  In those cases I "unselect" hot button to let the play continue, but then reselecting starts the scan again at the beginning of the list.  I think I would like the scan to begin at whatever the current position of the list (actually it should be next song). 

Imagine for instance, I had started normal play on a list.  After several songs, I might decide to scan rather than play the rest of the list.  I could just press Hot at that time. It would begin scanning on the next song in playlist.

If on the other hand, I  wanted to start scan back at the beginning, then I think the user would logically understand that he needs to start play at the 1st track on the list, then press Hot.

Anyone else want to comment?

#6 2005-09-26 04:44:04

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I just coded the change (1 line of code!):

HotScan from the current position is implemented in v.604

I think you are right...I like it better.

Playcount -- I think it isn't necessary to increment playcount for the Hotscan files (even though I didn't intend to make a change there!).  Do you agree?

Board footer