MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2004-12-07 08:49:00

AtlGuy

Network Version

I have a compuuter tht houses all my mp3 files and the Database.. I have 4 computers Set-up in my home.. The all map a network drive to the main MP3 directory so that I can play mp3 over my network for any pc.  I would like to be able to access the MP3 Database. Now if I want to access it I have to use remote desktop and rake physcial control of the pc and use MP3 that way. I would like to be able to access the program and the data from any of my pc's in my home network

#2 2004-12-07 10:16:56

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: Network Version

If you install MP3-Boss on all the computers, it would be possible to scan on one and then copy DATA.MDB to all of the computers...but of course that means that the drive mapping would need to be the same for all computers.  The problem of updating from a single computer would still hold.

In theory I can give multi-user access to the DATA.MDB file...but it is quite a bit of work.

How many other people out there need this feature?  Or is copying DATA.MDB enough?

John
http://www.mp3-boss.com

#3 2004-12-14 17:00:48

Bumpster

I too have a music server that I network. I use a WinAmp plug in called SnowCrash to control it remotely. SnowCrach installs a stand alone web server into WinAmp to invoke commands from a web page. The down side is the size of the play list it can handle and no search capability. It's also an old program that is no longer supported.

The search function is where MP3 Boss shines. The ultimate would be MP3Boss with a web control. Using xml to make calls to MP3Boss gives the end user the ability to design the look of the page. I also think there would be a lot less network traffic generated than accessing the database remotely.

#4 2004-12-14 18:15:46

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Well, Access certainly can be used as a remote database, running off a server...but  I have to say that I've never tried to use Access like that.  A few years ago I looked into it, and saw that it was probably not that hard to implement...but it also looked like one of those things that was easy only after you've done it a few times.

Anybody else have the experience?

John

#5 2004-12-20 04:58:34

AtlGuy

When I have set up access databases on my home network so that I could access the same data and make changes it all boils down to the record that you are working on so that I have exclusive rights to that record only not to the database.  So that several people can be working it  at the same time.. Its really not that hard.. Never grant exclusive rights to anyone user when they start MP3. You probably do that now so that you are the only user who writes to the database…I think that with just a minor change or two you could network this puppy …

#6 2004-12-20 05:14:42

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

In addition to how I would handle record locking, there are a some other problems related to file access.  Record locking can be a pain when you have tons of related tables (I think I'm close to 100 tables in MP3-Boss).  For example, should I assume that drive mapping is the identical for all users, or do I need to provide tables to remap the maps?  What happens if someone is manipulating the drive volumes while another person is scanning?  Will Winamp always be at the location specified in config, or do I let each user specify a location?  Will bitmaps always be stored in the directory with the primary database, or do I create local copies?  Even something as simple as managing the front-end/back-end nature or mp3-boss becomes a bit more complicated, since that code assumes that the data tables are in the same directory as the code database.

AtlGuy wrote:

…I think that with just a minor change or two you could network this puppy …

#7 2004-12-20 06:11:13

AtlGuy

In addition to how I would handle record locking, there are a some other problems related to file access. Record locking can be a pain when you have tons of related tables (I think I'm close to 100 tables in MP3-Boss).
ONCE  ACCESS HAS A RECORD AND IT HAS  ALL THE RIGHTS TO THAT RECORD... IT INCLUDES THE WHOLE BALL OF WAX ANYTHING RELATED TO THAT ONE RECORD FORMS TABLES AND QUERIES….. YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE WORRY ABOUT ANYTHING ACCESS WILL LOCK WHAT IT NEEDS

For example, should I assume that drive mapping is the identical for all users, NO ALL USERS ARE DIFFERENT  AND HAVE DIFFERENT MAPPINGS
or do I need to provide tables to remap the maps? YES, YOU COULD  A CHOICE OF DRIVE LETTERS.. N:,P:Q: NO HOME USERS DON’T USE THESE USALLY.. OR PROVIDE ON THE CONFIG PAGE WHAT DRIVE LETTER THAT THE USER MAPPED TO THE DATA DIRECTORY AS A RULE. IF YOU BUY A NETWORK VERSION YOU KNOW HOW TO MAP A DRIVE IN XP. JUST NEED A PLACE TO TELL MP3 WHERE TOO LOOK

What happens if someone is manipulating the drive volumes while another person is scanning?
HUMM… GOOD QUESTION…. GET BACK TO YOU ON THIS ONE..

Will Winamp always be at the location specified in config, or do I let each user specify a location? RUN IN EACH USER LOCATION
Will bitmaps always be stored in the directory with the primary database, or do I create local copies? STORE ON PRIMARY SERVER THEY JUST WASTE SPACE

Even something as simple as managing the front-end/back-end nature or mp3-boss becomes a bit more complicated, since that code assumes that the data tables are in the same directory as the code database.
THERE ARE TWO APPROACHES YOU CAN TAKE... YOU CAN REPLICATE EACH PC... THIS IS A NIGHTMARE... I RECOMMEND ONE DATABASE ON THE SERVER PC AND HAVE THE SLAVE PC’S ACCESS THE SERVER THE NETWORK. SO THAT ALL THE PC’S ARE ON THE SAME PAGE... OK THAT SAID… ALL DATA AND MP3 FILES WILL RESIDE ON THE SERVER. ON MY SERVER PC I WILL SHARE THE MP3BOSS DIRECTORY FOR THE NETWORK TO ALLOW READ AND WRITE ACCESS TO THAT DIRECTORY ONLY. THEY ALL I HAVE TO DO IS MAP A NETWORK DRIVE SAY(NEED TO BE FLEXIABLE ON THIS ANY DRIVE LETTER ON THE CLIENT. IT WILL NEVER CHANGE ON THE SERVER PC) T:\ TO THAT PC’S SHARED NAME (XP USES SHARE NAMES) AND JUST CREATE AN ICON POINTING TO THAT EXE FILE….. THIS COULD RUN SLOW... BECAUSE YOU ARE USING THE OTHER PC’S RESOURCES. ACCESS IS A RESOURCE HOG…

MY SCHOOL OF THOUGHT... IS TO RUN THE APPLICATION ON THE LOCAL PC PERFORMANCE WILL BE OK… HAVE IT POINT TO THE SERVER PC DATABASE. ONE DATABASE ONE LOCATION… YOU DON’T HAVE TO DEAL WITH REPLICATION. I ACCESS MY MP3 OVER MY NETWORK… I IS JUST A HARE SLOWER THERE IS NO DEGERATION OF PERFORMANCE

#8 2004-12-20 08:33:59

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

As long as I require a local install...and allow pointing to DATA.MDB...things are much simpler.  Is that what you want?  Or did you want to access MPEG.MDE across the network?  The original design assumes DATA.MDB on the server and local copies of MPEG.MDE on each client.  As long as all you want is the ability to point to a non-local directory holding DATA.MDB...then things are much easier (but I need to verify that the local tables hold all of the drive mapping stuff).

Still...the question is...how many of my customers want this?  I still only have had a few people ask for it, and most of those people have said that they'll also require the MP3-Boss source code because they want to implement it for night-clubs and such...

An alternative design would be to implement MP3-Boss as a web server to multiple clients...that holds the advantage of being able to simplify the client side.

John

#9 2004-12-20 09:04:12

AtlGuy

Im one....It would make this eaiser to manage

If someone wants your source code.. they must be nuts.... you just lost your "Property" and they will be first ones running to the paton and trade mark offices.. and they will shut you out...of all the revenue you could get.. If someone needs to customize version of MP3 feel free to charge them a fee for all t he work... if they still want the code.. Charge them lots of money and have them sign waivers and disclorse statements.So if the goof up you have the leagl right to slap them silly.

It just takes one programmer to leak it out.. and you will be finished

#10 2004-12-20 09:09:00

AtlGuy

Web Server is an advantage... But need to run a personal webserver.. Problem 1 is that if people run XP home does not contain IIS.. No Personal Server only Pro Does... Icould Go for that too

#11 2004-12-24 15:39:02

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

So is it OK that I require a local install, with pointing to the DATA.MDB file?  Doing that shouldn't be too hard.

Have you ever run Access to serve up data across the web?

John
http://www.mp3-boss.com

#12 2005-01-07 21:47:41

AtlGuy

no I have not.. I have used SQL over the web

#13 2005-09-28 16:32:08

Bump

The Winamp plug-in Snowcrash allows guests to add songs to the playlist via XML and the web server is part of the plug-in. IIS is not used. But, I wouldn't mind if it was!

Board footer