MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2005-12-04 20:54:40

ralph

"Unable to Locate Song"

Thre have been instances where I have played a song using MP3B, then when either tried to rate the same song or tried to Find the song, I would get the error:

"Unable to locate the song - Is it in the database"

Well...It is in the database because I played the song from MP3B.  After some testing it seems that the offending songs are all in the same directory.  Is there table of allowable directories?  One that wlll allow a play command to pass but not allow find or rating?

#2 2005-12-06 01:39:57

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: "Unable to Locate Song"

There isn't a table of allowable directories.

Does the error ALWAYS occur?  Is it possible that there is a drive error?

Error check the drive (Drive Properties/Tools/Error Checking Check Now) and see if that fixes the problem.

#3 2005-12-06 17:50:36

ralph

It seems like it always occurs.   I check drive C: as you suggested.  No errors.  I tried a couple of other directories where I had files   All behaved the same.   I can make MP3B play the files in Winamp.  I can queue up more that one file from that dirve.  I can jump forward and back in the queue list.  But what I cannot do is rate a song, find a song

I just checked in Utilities/Review/Volumes and I have 3 Drive C:\ , each with different volume labels and each with different volume ID's.  I thought about deleting one or more but got warning that I would delete records.  I did not want to do this yet.

I did change the volume label in the 3 directories to be the same, but this did not fix the problem

PS.....Drive D: and other drives operate completely normal.

Last edited by ralph (2005-12-06 17:55:06)

#4 2005-12-06 21:41:31

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Is this v0.57 or the v0.603 beta?

Are there any other errors related to that song, or just "unable to locate the song..." error?

#5 2005-12-07 17:53:52

ralph

This is v.603.   I wish I could remember when I first noticed this problem.   The majority of my library is on Drive D:\. So, using the larger library I had no difficulty.  Only recently had I begun a process to try to rate my unrated songs.  Hence, I was accessing drive C:\ tracks, but unable to set the rating.   

As far as I can tell those are the only errors.   One thing I have not experimented with, is to store a group of tracks on c:\, scan them in to the database, and then see what happens.  I expect the same error to occur.   But I will let you know soon

#6 2005-12-07 19:28:40

ralph

Nope...just scanned new folder(CD) on Drive C:\  and had same problem.  Can play okay...just can't rate.  I discovered that I can rename a file in the table view  I can also rename the file using the Rename function.  So it appears that MP3B knows where the file is for most functions.  I tried the Tag function.  I can change the Year field, so that works.

P.S.  Just noticed -  Play count does not increment when playing the Drive c:\ files

Last edited by ralph (2005-12-07 19:37:14)

#7 2005-12-09 03:51:53

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Anybody else seeing a similar problem with the beta?

The Playcount problem you are seeing is probably the same thing -- mp3boss isn't finding the record.

How many drives do you have?  How many are CD/DVD drives?  Have you remapped the drives?

#8 2005-12-09 20:50:54

ralph

You probably hit on the problem.   While I don't remember exactly the history, I have had to replace hard drives.  In the process I have moved the files to other drives while I formatted old ones or installed new drives.  In order to preserve linkage I reinstalled my music files into drive/directories that were the same as the old ones.  The last time I did such a drastic manuever was over 10 months ago.  Yet, I discovered this problem only recently. (?). 

The MP3B Review Volume window reports that I have tracks on CD Rom.  Some are mapped as drive H, others as drive G:.  I have two drive F:\, one drive D:, and finally three drive C:.    This I think is the source of the problem, but I have no way to diagnose without deleting records and re-scanning all the the drive C:\ files.  To do so means erasing all the ratings I have made so far on these tracks.  I want to avoid this, but may be forced to start over with the database.

#9 2005-12-10 17:18:13

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

When you see the error -- are you positive that the file actually exists where you think it is?  Or is MP3-Boss (sometimes) locating it on a CD?

If a file doesn't exist on the specified drive, then it should be easy to "move" that file to the place that it actually exists (without having to scan again).

#10 2005-12-11 08:41:52

ralph

Yes,  I'm positive the track exists on where it says it is.  I don't have a CD in the tray so it can't find that.

Now, Taking you suggestion, I just 'automoved' using MP3B, a folder from drive c: to d:.  The move went perfectly and now when playing tracks from that folder, I can "find" it the track and also rate it.  So it seems the problem exists because for some reason I have allowed multple drive c:'s to coexist in my database.  I just don't know how I did it, or how to clear it out.

#11 2005-12-12 16:49:56

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

If you search for drive volumes -- you should be able to find 2 different "C:" drives -- with different volume labels.  Then you should be able to "AutoMove" the wrong ones to drive D: to fix the problem (with copydown).

ralph wrote:

Yes,  I'm positive the track exists on where it says it is.  I don't have a CD in the tray so it can't find that.

Now, Taking you suggestion, I just 'automoved' using MP3B, a folder from drive c: to d:.  The move went perfectly and now when playing tracks from that folder, I can "find" it the track and also rate it.  So it seems the problem exists because for some reason I have allowed multple drive c:'s to coexist in my database.  I just don't know how I did it, or how to clear it out.

#12 2005-12-12 19:29:46

ralph

I just scanned a new folder in to drive C:\, in order to confirm what MP3B sees for this volume:  It showed the following:    SerNo:  CF20F1D;  VComment:  VComment
Local (C:\): and, Volume_Label:  Papas 1,  In List View I found no other records with a drive c:\.  There are 438 on these tracks. 

So now I have now conflicts and only 1 drive C:  Yet, I still have the same problem.

Now my next step might be to automove all 438 to some other drive.  But my question is if I do so...how can I tell MP3B that, first, eliminate all reference to drive C:\, and then let me rescan into it so that I can see if the problem is fixed?

P.S. -  I checked in utilities/review/volumes and confirmed that it now shows only one drive c:\.  Yet, problem still exists

Last edited by ralph (2005-12-12 19:31:44)

#13 2005-12-12 20:05:17

ralph

Interesting tidbit"

I was in the process of moving all C:\ tracks to an external drive M:\.  At the same time I was playing one of the tracks involved in the move.  As you are probably familiar with, there was a slight interruption as the playing track was moved.  I immediately pressed "find" and MP3B pointed to the track on the drive m:\ where it was not able to find the same track while playing on drive c:\.

#14 2005-12-13 04:25:22

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Thanks very much for the information!  Maybe I can see what happens during that 'in-between' state.

Please ZIP up your DATA.MDB file and I'll take a look at it...

#15 2006-04-23 08:26:09

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

It looks like this problem is due to a new "feature" in recent versions of Winamp -- the playlist is created without the drive letter for the C: drive.

I've fixed it in the next release.

Board footer