MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).
  • Index
  •  » Questions
  •  » msaccess.exe causes 99% processor load on thinkpad

#1 2006-01-25 10:33:54

Horst

msaccess.exe causes 99% processor load on thinkpad

I have tested MP3boss on my Athlon desktop, and I have to say that I am enthusiastic about its functionality and its features. But actually I intend to use it on my IBM A20p Thinkpad where I have all my MP3s on the harddisk. It works perfectly on the Thinkpad, with one exception: msaccess.exe causes 99% processor load, which discharges the battery within less than an hour. This happens on the Thinkpad only. On the Athlon desktop, msaccess.exe does not produce any significant processor load. On both systems I run identical Win XP versions, and I installed MP3boss on my Thinkpad on a clean Win XP SP2. Because I run MSoffice 2003 on my desktop, which comes with a newer msaccess version, I tried to replace the old msaccess 97 by the newer version, but this rendered MP3boss unusable. I think that the problem is caused by the old access 97 version that comes with MP3boss. Obviously it interfers with the power saving features of notebook processors. Any hints? How can I foist a newer access version on MP3boss? Can I test any newer version of MP3boss before registering? Thanks a lot for your help.

Horst

#2 2006-01-25 17:50:11

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: msaccess.exe causes 99% processor load on thinkpad

Horst,

The problem is how MS Access97 idles when there is no activity.  The 99% processor load is not really valid (since otherwise you would notice a sluggish response for all applications running at the same time), but instead MS Access is actively waiting for input...and this is detected as activitly (evidently making the Thinkpad think it can't sleep!).

I don't think this problem was fixed in Access2000 (the only other version that I've used to create a version of MP3-Boss).  In most cases, it doesn't cause any problem at all...but I hadn't considered this issue of laptop battery life.

I'll see if I can find some additional information -- I think I recall that if Winamp is on top, MP3-Boss doesn't show processor activity.

#3 2006-01-27 14:32:16

Horst

John, thanks a lot for your quick reply. During the next few days I will try some things, for example running msaccess.exe in compatibility mode. The processor is always fully loaded, doesn't matter if WinAmp is on top or running in the background. If I understood the principle of MP3boss correctly, then MP3boss is an application that opens msaccess and is executed by msaccess - just like a spreadsheet that opens Excel if it is clicked. Maybe you can call msaccess with some parameters that stop that active waiting process. The behavior of msaccess reminds me of old DOS programs that polled all interfaces, keeping the processor busy - before the interrupt was invented. Maybe there is a way to start msaccess not in polling mode, but in an interrupt driven mode? Interrupts caused by mouse clicks, for example. But there is still one aspect that I don't understand. If it is caused by 'actively waiting', why does msaccess sleep if it is executed on an Athlon processor? On the Athon, the task manager displays 0% activity of msaccess.exe - as long as I don't click around or start a new scan. Access 97 is an old nag, written for Win95, during the pre-laptop-era. Can you mail me your Access2000-version for testing? If yes, drop me a line, and I will tell you my Email address.

Horst

#4 2006-01-28 04:37:53

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

If you minimum MP3-Boss and wait 10 seconds -- does the processor use go to 0% (it does on mine).

I can't explain why the Athlon shows different behavior.  Is it the exactly same version fo the operating system?

I'm reluctant to give out the Access2K version because I never updated it past v0.54(?) or so.  When Microsoft came out with their new versions, they made it impossible to distribute a run-time except on CD.  Minimum size of a full Access2K pacakge is 160MB (and I get a lot of complaints about the 12MB size of MP3-Boss now!).

• Index
  •  » Questions
  •  » msaccess.exe causes 99% processor load on thinkpad

Board footer