MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2004-11-30 18:25:58

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

v0.590 Beta released -- Nov. 30, 2004

Fixes a number of CD/DVD scanning bugs:
1) Hardcoded temporary file write to D: redirected to temp directory under main mp3-boss directory (this might have caused failures if D:\ was a CD/DVD).
2) CD/DVD Scanning options were only read at startup, not when clicked in config...so it looked like all of the options behaved identically.
3) CD/DVD parameters were still being read on a per-directory basis, which would dramatically slow down scanning if there were a large number of directories on a CD/DVD
4) The warn before scanning option would warn and let you tell it to skip the scan, but not necessarily skip the the scan!
5) CDFileID now requires a 50% matchcount before the CD is considered identical
6) Additional checks that make it more likely that a CD/DVD will be identified as 'new' -- and added as new volume in Volumes table.
7) Ignore SerialNumber CD scan option now really checks for Volume_Label match.
8) Scan normally option will always add a new CD/DVD volume to volumes table when the serial number has changed (same as v0.57 release version).

IF YOU ARE HAVING CD SCANNING PROBLEMS -- CLICK THE Utilities/Misc/CD-Drive Refresh button to rebuild the CD tables!

Thanks for your help!

John
http:/www.mp3-boss.com

Beta 0.590 update release:
http://www.creaturesgreat.com/mp3update590.zip

Beta 0.590 full version release:
http://www.creaturesgreat.com/mp3boss590.zip

In theory you should only need the v0.590 update release.  However, if you want to do a full installation, you can use the v0.590 full version release.  Don't forget to backup what you have!  In particular, it is possible that a final release might require that you revert back to v0.582 data (or earlier) because of database update issues.

#2 2004-12-01 09:30:52

paulmccowan

Re: v0.590 Beta released -- Nov. 30, 2004

The scan options still do not work.. You can scan a disk, but not a re-scan (added files).  The program treats each scan as a new disk.  It  still will not scan from the burner drive.

Although it doesn't work, when would you use the option "Don't Scan"?

When clicking on the Refresh CD/DVD . you get the message  that "Rebuilding CDDrive Records", but nothing happens.

#3 2004-12-01 11:17:05

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Paul,

Beta v0.590 should behave just like v0.57 when scanning a CD/DVD that hasn't been finalized (assuming the serial number changes every time you add files -- which seems to be a 'feature' of Windows).  You should select "Ignore serialnumber" or "Ignore Serialnumber/volume_label" if you want mp3-boss to try to simply update the volume.  When you select these options, mp3-boss tries to determine the volume based on the files on the disk.

>It  still will not scan from the burner drive.
Scanning from the burner drive works fine from v0.57, correct?  Your burner is drive E, correct?

Don't Scan:
Don't scan an open (not-finalized) CD/DVD.  This is a workaround so mp3-boss will simply ignore an disks that aren't finalized.

Refresh CD/DVD:
You are absolutely right...while it works OK on my development computer, on a new computer there is a problem...I'll fix this.  Hopefully this is the reason that it won't scan your burner drive (because I've been looking awfully closely at the code & don't think there is much left to fix! LOL).

Thanks for your help!

John
http://www.mp3-boss.com

#4 2004-12-01 17:48:35

paulmccowan

The ignore serial #  feature does not wok on any kind of disk.  Also the ignore serial #/volume label does not work.
My burner drive is E. It works OK on V0.57.

#5 2004-12-01 18:36:47

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I think I finally found something that might explain the problem for your drive E:

Evidently, the library I am using returns a blank string for the CD/DVD description for some drives, and my table doesn't allow a zero-length string.  That means that the record isn't created...this happened for a Dell CD/DVD drive on my laptop.

It looks like this problem would also cause the Refresh CD/DVD button in Utilities to fail.

I'll checkout the ignore serialnumber/volume label code again...although it looked like it was working here.  Maybe once I fix the problem above, things will start working for you.  When you add files to the CD -- how many files do you add?  Right now I'm requiring that at least half the total files were the same...so going from 5->10 files would work (or 50->100), but going from 5->20 files wouldn't work.

John

#6 2004-12-02 05:44:42

paulmccowan

I noticed on start-up of the program that I would get a message that a mention was made of a zero string or length.  I thought it was a quirk.  Sounds like you are getting close.

I have only been adding like 6 files at a time to see if the scan options work.  They do not.

#7 2004-12-02 06:52:20

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I think the zero-length string problem explains the DVD burner problem.  A fix will be in the next beta.

I hope to checkout the serial/volume_label scanning problem tonight.

John

Board footer