MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2006-03-13 17:05:53

ugc

Bit rate and song length reporting incorrectly.

I have latest beta v0.603, and I just scanned some new songs. In the list view, two songs have 0 for length and bit rate, but winamp reports correctly, and they play fine. Also, one reports as 96k bit rate, and it is 192k. I checked them with sonic sound forge, and MP3boss is wrong.

Is there a way to manually change it, so it shows correctly?

#2 2006-03-13 17:32:22

ugc

Re: Bit rate and song length reporting incorrectly.

Problem Solved! (not yet...read on)

***EDIT***

I believe I have a problem with my computer. Let me look into that before I blame MP3boss. I have some strange letters that keep popping up after every save in the ID3 tag. I get rid of them, but they come back. This is a copy/paste of what keeps popping up in the artist name and in the title :

˙ūL

I delete them in sound forge, they show back up in winamp. Delete them in winamp, and reopen the file in sound forge, there they are again.

Last edited by ugc (2006-03-13 19:40:19)

#3 2006-03-13 22:01:55

ugc

UPDATE:

I used Acronis True Image and restored a known good image. It fixed the problem, but I had to go back to ALL the songs (about 10 that I edited on the old setup) and delete that code and redo the ID Tags. That code made MP3boss have the wrong bit rate in the list, even with the new image. It was my computer at fault. At least this time, when I delete that code, it stayed gone.

Anybody know what that code is?
It had brackets around it also:   [˙ūL]

Strange problem, but it is fixed now.

#4 2006-03-14 01:57:23

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I believe that indicates a unicode tag.

What operating system do you have?  Win98, WinNT, Win2K or WinXP?  Certain operating systems may require a Microsoft DLL to support unicode tags.

Please send me a couple of the files (before you've fixed them) so I can take a look.

#5 2006-03-14 18:08:28

ugc

smile he he.... too late. I fixed them already. I can tell you this, the ones I was having problems with were downloads from a German DJ Site. The rest of the mp3 Tags were ok.

My OS is WinXP Pro with Office XP installed. And many many types of music software.

And, after I restored my system with a known good backup, everything started working like it should.

Thank you very much for your reply. I am still very much in love with the software MP3boss. Great work. I haven't figured out why EVERYONE isn't using it yet?

#6 2006-03-15 04:16:19

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

If you can get a bad copy again, I'd definitely like to see at least one of the files.

Thanks for all your comments about mp3-boss!

Based on the general consensus, I've released v0.603 (identical to the version distributed for beta) to the general public.

#7 2006-03-15 18:53:48

ugc

You are in luck sir. I just download 4 more that are doing the same thing. I would be glad to send you a copy if you will let me know how and where.

**edit**

I edited this to let you know that sound forge picks up on the code being there ( look under properties with the file open, the artist and title has that weird code), so I checked the file properties just using explorer under windows XP, and it does not show it (looks normal in windows). But whatever code is there, mp3boss reports "0" bit rate and "0" length after a MP3 Scan for new files.

What is strange, winamp reports correctly when playing the song. I even deleted the ID3 tag (using winamp) and re entered the info, and the code remains in the mp3. The only way I can remove it, is open it up in sound forge, delete that code, save the file, and then re-enter the info in the ID3 tag, delete the original from the directory, copy my new file over, and scan for new songs in mp3boss. THEN, all is good.

I know I have typed a lot, but just trying to give you as much info as possible. Too much is better than not enough. smile

Last edited by ugc (2006-03-15 19:32:44)

#8 2006-03-15 20:53:02

ugc

Found the problem and cause!!!

Don't know why, but winamp is adding that code to the tag. Winamp just came out with an update a few days ago, and I updated.

I always edit my tags with winamp, then put the song in the correct folder and scan with mp3boss. Well, come to find out, it is winamp at fault. Now, I use a lot of 3rd party plugins, so it could be one of them doing it I guess. But the easy way is to just not edit anymore tags with winamp.

The version I am using is WinAmp v5.21 pro.

#9 2006-03-16 01:47:52

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Send a couple of the files to:

john.t.mccaffrey@snet.net

Thanks!  I'll let you know what I find.

#10 2006-03-17 06:53:55

ugc

ok, check your email. I just sent you an mp3 with the ID3 tag edited by winamp.

When you scan for new music with MP3boss, that code will make the calulation wrong for the bit rate. (but when played, winamp reports correctly).

Thanks for all your help.

#11 2006-03-17 18:36:23

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Winamp 5.2x reports:
Length: 186 seconds
MPEG 1.0 layer 3
128kbit, 7128 frames
44100Hz Joint Stereo

MP3-Boss Reports:
Length: 186 seconds
MPEG 1.0 layer 3
128kbit, 7128 frames
48000Hz Joint Stereo

I don't understand how the audio_rate is wrong (bit_rate seems correct), but the length is correct.  Is this the same results you get?

#12 2006-03-17 20:30:57

ugc

The problems seems to vary. Some of the mp3 report 96kbit in mp3boss, when the actual is 192kbit. Remember, this only happens when the ID3 tag has been edited with winamp. I have many tag editors, and this problem does not occur when I use ANY of them.

One more thing to note: Open up the mp3 with sound forge, and look at the properties. Instead of the file info shown, you get that strange code.

Ok, I posted a snap shot of what you see here:

http://www.ugmovies.com/strangecode.jpg

and the file name is "ARTIST - SONG NAME" and this is what I get.....

I strongly believe this is a WINAMP problem and not a MP3boss problem. The way I fixed all the songs was I had to go back and re-edit all the ID3 tags that were edited with winamp using other software, and re scan with mp3boss, then all was good. So this tells me winamp is adding code somewhere where it shouldn't.

NOTE: Sound Forge was the only program that picked up on that code being there. Explorer>properties reported correctly in Windows XP. Winamp reported correctly. And my Tag editing software reported correctly. (I saw the artist name and song name in the tag like I should) * I knew the code was there, so I re-saved the tag*, Did a scan in mp3boss. It worked.
So when I saved the tag info, it wrote over that bad code and fix whatever problem winamp caused.

I take that back!!!!! Click [Details] on the tag info in MP3boss (in MP3 LIST), that code will show up at different places.

Last edited by ugc (2006-03-17 21:12:56)

#13 2006-03-17 21:41:22

ugc

Check your email again.

I sent you a different mp3 PLUS a full screen shot of mp3boss and what it is reporting. And in the shot, you can see what winamp is reporting also.

Please let me know when you do a scan if you get the same results.

#14 2006-03-18 05:34:46

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

I am able to duplicate the results with this last file...I'll work on a fix the problem.

Board footer