MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).

#1 2004-12-07 08:42:31

AtlGuy

Tag editor

Here is a really Stupid Question I think I you have anwsered it but I can't Rembember the awnser

Can MP3 write back to the MP3 Tag with the Updated information for Example I added Album Info Into the Database to several files.  or does it just write to the database and makes no updates to the accual file

If it Can't write back to the the tag will MP3 Support that in future releases?

#2 2004-12-07 10:10:42

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: Tag editor

The Tag Editor lets you write ID3v1 tags back to the file.  A future version will allow you to write ID3v2 tags.  My biggest problem now with ID3v2 tags is what I should do with unsupported items...try to ignore them, delete everything & start from scratch...etc.

AtlGuy wrote:

Can MP3 write back to the MP3 Tag with the Updated information for Example I added Album Info Into the Database to several files.  or does it just write to the database and makes no updates to the accual file

If it Can't write back to the the tag will MP3 Support that in future releases?

#3 2005-05-14 06:50:51

matludlam

I have just come across the id3v1 and id3v2 situation myself.

Virtually all of my files have v1 and v2 tags in.  I have edited the tags in the editor and had them written back to the files.  So now my files have a mismatch of v1 and v2 tags which confuses other tools because most assume that the v2 tags are correct when the v1 are the ones that I have edited.

Is there anything that can be done to write the v2 tags back to the file?

I am not sure what the issue is with unsupported tags, could you explain futher?

#4 2005-05-14 08:35:02

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

matludlam wrote:

I have just come across the id3v1 and id3v2 situation myself.

Virtually all of my files have v1 and v2 tags in.  I have edited the tags in the editor and had them written back to the files.  So now my files have a mismatch of v1 and v2 tags which confuses other tools because most assume that the v2 tags are correct when the v1 are the ones that I have edited.

Is there anything that can be done to write the v2 tags back to the file?

I am not sure what the issue is with unsupported tags, could you explain futher?

I will add at least limited support for ID3v2 tags in the next (or next + 1) beta -- at least those items that are the same as the ID3v1 tags.

The problem with ID3v2 tags is that the spec. is quite complicated, and the spec has changed significantly between ID3v2.1 and ID3v2.4.  This means that frequently the ID3v2 tags are incorrectly written, and so it is very difficult to ensure that writing additional information won't make the tag unusable, particularly when some players (e.g., iTunes) have modified the tags so that they really don't follow the spec.  In other words -- ID3v2 tags are chaos exemplified!

#5 2005-05-14 09:25:09

matludlam

I now understand the nature of the issue.  I have also looked at my files and I seem to have a mixture of id3v2.2 and id3v2.3, but I probably have the full range if I look hard.

From a user perspective I would be happy with any of the following, I am not sure what everyone else thinks:
1.    The ability to update only the id3v2 tags that have id3v1 equivalents, provided that the other v2 tags are unchanged (i.e. bitmaps, lyrics etc. are still ok).  I would want to use more than 30 characters though.
2.    The ability to write a fuller set of v2 tags and for the unsupported ones to be deleted.  Here I would want the fuller range to include Lyrics and the pictures.  As my collection is contemporary rather than classical I am not sure what classical listeners would care about.

#6 2005-05-14 10:02:18

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

matludlam wrote:

1.    The ability to update only the id3v2 tags that have id3v1 equivalents, provided that the other v2 tags are unchanged (i.e. bitmaps, lyrics etc. are still ok).  I would want to use more than 30 characters though.

This is my plan for the first release of ID3v2 write support.  I am going to rely on a purchased library for this, so I don't have quite as much control as I usually do.  However, it does mean that at least 20 other software developers have looked at how it behaves!

matludlam wrote:

The ability to write a fuller set of v2 tags and for the unsupported ones to be deleted.  Here I would want the fuller range to include Lyrics and the pictures.  As my collection is contemporary rather than classical I am not sure what classical listeners would care about.

Do you need Lyrics with time-stamps, or just Lyrics?  Do you need the Lyrics tag (this is separate from ID3v1 or ID3v2 tags), or just the ID3v2 Lyrics field?

#7 2005-05-15 12:19:13

matludlam

You raise an interesting point here.  As a user this it hidden from me.  I use MP3Tag to insert the lyrics by hand but only about 20 of my 30,000+ files have lyrics.

This makes it a rather week point I appreciate.  I think that the issue is that CDDB (or whatever people are usinig these days) does not holy the lyrics so most files are empty.

So in summary, I don't know the answer to your question and it is probably not important to me.

#8 2005-05-16 09:58:54

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

matludlam wrote:

You raise an interesting point here.  As a user this it hidden from me.  I use MP3Tag to insert the lyrics by hand but only about 20 of my 30,000+ files have lyrics.

This makes it a rather week point I appreciate.  I think that the issue is that CDDB (or whatever people are usinig these days) does not holy the lyrics so most files are empty.

So in summary, I don't know the answer to your question and it is probably not important to me.

In theory, there are some lyrics sites that MP3-Boss could query to auto-fill lyrics.  Is that of interest? 

Because of the relative simplicity of the Lyrics tag, I prefer the Lyrics tag...but I think most editors out there are ID3v2 editors.  Once I start writing ID3v2, I can always synchronize the Lyrics tag.

#9 2005-05-16 23:57:52

matludlam

Whlst at the outset it sounds very interesting to have the lytics info I am not really that sure how important it is.

What would be nice is to be able to query them.  So something like find all the songs that contain the lyrics "all my troubles seemed so far away" and get back The Beatles and Yesterday

I think that there are more important things first though.

#10 2005-05-18 07:33:01

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

matludlam wrote:

I think that there are more important things first though.

Who would think that a "simple" mp3 database could have so many functions! LOL

Board footer