MP3-Boss forum

Questions, comments and concerns about MP3-Boss: MP3 Database and Manager

You are not logged in.

Announcement

MP3-Boss Facebook Group
v0.683 is the official release. * Beta info * Have you checked the MP3-Boss Facebook Page? My contact address is MP3-Boss primary email address.
Returning users: Send me an email containing your user name, and I'll reset your email address (old info was lost during a crash).
  • Index
  •  » Questions
  •  » albums incorrectly listed with empty genre tag

#1 2006-10-20 00:53:06

carrotboat

albums incorrectly listed with empty genre tag

Hi All,

Does the Boss need to be told of genres it doesn't know about. It shows an empty genre that actually contains "turntablism".

#2 2006-10-20 17:22:35

mccaffjt
Admin
Website

Re: albums incorrectly listed with empty genre tag

Genre is the ID3v1-compatible user_category, which is defined only for about 150 categories.  In theory there can be 255 entries, but the ID3v1 specification uses a number instead of a text description...so only the already defined entries are allowed.  You can see those allowed selections in the Genre dropdown (or by looking at Utilities/Review/User_Category).

User_Category includes all of the Genre entries, and lets you add any categories you want in addition to the defined Genre entries.  User_Category1 is similar to User_Category (so you can have a total of 3 categories: Genre, User_Category, User_Category1...for every song).

Finally, the ID3v2 category field is somewhat like User_Category & User_Category1.  Sometimes the information duplicates Genre (and is numeric).  Sometimes it is free-form text.  If you look at the Detail page for the mp3 -- you can find this category on the ID3v2A tab.  If the information matches a Genre or User_Category...that information is updated.  If not, it is stored in the ID3v2A category field.

I think you should find "turntablism" for that song on the ID3v2A tab.

If you don't, please send the song to: john.t.mccaffrey@snet.net and I'll take a look.

• Index
  •  » Questions
  •  » albums incorrectly listed with empty genre tag

Board footer